Random experiment with breakfast burritos using whatever I had in the fridge. Holy balls these are good. Make it vegetarian by removing the pancetta, or vegan by leaving out the egg and cheese and splitting 250g steamed basmati rice between each tortilla before topping with veg.
Makes 4 burritos
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook time 20 mins
- 65g cubed pancetta/bacon
- 1 white onion, halved and sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 400g (1 can) kidney beans, drained
- 6 eggs
- Tabasco sauce
- 140g baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 50g cheddar/jack cheese
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Salsa of choice
- Fry off the pancetta over a medium-high heat in a little oil, until crispy (3-5 mins)
- Add the mushrooms and onion the pan, and cook until the mushrooms are golden, stirring frequently (about 10 mins).
- Add the beans to the pan and stir through to warm.
- Beat the eggs together in a bowl with the tabasco. Use however much looks right, anywhere from a few drops to a bloody great dash depending on how much you like.
- Add the eggs to the pan and stir frequently so that they scramble rather than forming an omlette
- Add the spinach a handful at a time; stir each through until wilted.
- Give the tortillas a minute in the microwave under a paper towel, to soften.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir through the cheese so it melts in the residual heat.
- Tilt the pan so that any liquid runs to the bottom, then take the filling from the top. Put ¼ of the mixture on top of a tortilla, top with salsa to taste, then fold the sides in and roll bottom-to-top. Leave to rest with the join down for about 30 seconds, then optionally wrap in foil.